So long as you work, you will forge relationships. And relationships have to be there or nothing gets done. Yet work relationships must be tactfully handled or it may run out of control. Negative relationships tend to escalate much faster than whatever is positive.
A significant amount of my training, coaching and counseling involve helping the business owners, executives and the individuals to better their relationships at their workplace. The quality of such relationships is an outstanding factor in determining one’s happiness at work. Hence, meticulous attention ought to be paid and ongoing efforts must be made in order to seek enhancement.
Here, in no particular order of importance, are 15 of the proven ways to manage and improve your relationships at work. (Incidentally, all of them begin with a ‘S’ so they are called the ‘S’ ways):
1. Seek clarification on duties and tasks.
2. Stop playing the blame game.
3. Share the responsibilities reasonably.
4. Strengthen your emotions.
5. Socialize productively with colleagues.
6. Smile often to others.
7. Start your day positively and motivated.
8. Simplify the complicated process.
9. Sort out issues, conflicts and differences as soon as you can.
10. Speak clearly and diplomatically to be understood.
11. Shut up and listen when necessary.
12. Self-evaluate your behavior through personal reflection times.
13. Sense the mood of others and the atmosphere to act sensitively.
14. Show appreciation to your bosses, colleagues and customers.
15. Strive for overall improvement always.
Whenever you implement any or more of these ‘S’ ways artfully, you are providing an opportunity for advancement of your work relationships. This will surely take you further, towards Excelling Beyond Excellence!