Ever give someone a gift and to your disappointment, it was merely left at a corner? Did you invite someone to an event only to have the person being absent despite numerous assurance of his attendance? What about those times where you notice people wouldn’t care less about certain things they own? How about that uneasy feeling that you were somewhat taken for granted as your effort and dedication didn’t seemed to be appreciated? What really happened to these things?
When we talk about the things, these things can refer to the tangibles, the intangibles, the inorganic, the organics. These may perhaps come in the form of a toy, a photograph, a plan, a bouquet of flowers, time, an emotion, a promise, a friendship, integrity, love, an insurance policy, a birthday gift, a Barbie doll, a medal, a degree, or even a life.
Why don’t people treasure the things they have? Here are the key reasons:
1) It’s too cheap. It is obtained at the price they wouldn’t care. The cost is too neligable to mean anything. So what if they have wasted their money? It’ll never make a dent in their “fortune”.
2) It’s free. Since it is freely given to them, it doesn’t matter if they spoil it, abuse it or lost it. They hardly care if they missed an important meeting that could change the rest of their lives. It’s free anyway…
3) It’s not meaningful or purposeful to them. As it does not make sense to have it, why be bother with it? A present from a person whom they cannot relate to might be discarded as there is “no point in keeping junk.”
4) There’s no value to it. It’s just not worth it. Not worth it’s weight in gold. Seen it has no value, it need not be treasured. ‘Nuff said.
5) There is no pain involved. When the person does not feel the inner “Ouch!”, there is no external commitment.
6) There’s no effort in getting it. As there’s no need to work for it, there’s no effort to obtain it. Then…. who cares?!!
7) They feel no loss. Well, since they never had it in the first place, it’s no loss to them if it’s gone anyway. No vested interest. It’s merely back to square one. No big deal.
8) They take it for granted. Oh… since they will get it no matter what, why should they care at all? Ever know people who behave as if they are immortals and will live forever? How about some who spend like there is no tomorrow?
9) There is no depth of thought. The mentality is one of where people are thinking of “where ” to throw away rather than “How” to use it to their advantage.
10) They have a lack of maturity, emotionally and rationally. Perhaps emotionally, some people have not learnt the art of appreciation and the beauty of memory. Or poor emotional intelligence causes them to go into a bout of tantrum, insisting on their own willful ways, ignoring everything else.
Remember all these are just mere perceptions in the mind of the person owning these items. It does not imply that all things are useless. Neither does it mean that all things must be treasured equally. But the choices one makes does speaks of the mentality, the direction and the life’s focus of that individual.
May you treasure all the things that make your life worthwhile and those that help you excel in life!